Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Now I drink apple juice.

       For those of you that don't know me or haven't spoken to me in awhile, I got married in February of 2009 and am now a stepmom to two awesome kids - Nicholas, 7 and Alexandra, 6.  I also have a nine-year old, Bailey. My husband adopted her in October of last year - an amazing answer to prayer.
When Bailey was 2 years old I got my first of two DUI's. When she was 3, I got my second. Alcohol was not something I struggled with until about 2001. I had other things that I struggled with (drugs, bulimia), but alcohol was something I only dabbled in socially. Over time, began to drink heavier and heavier. I would work until around nine or ten at night, I was a server/bartender (ironically enough!), at TGIFriday's at the time so access was not difficult. I knew that if I worked until at least nine, my baby would be in bed and I wouldn't have to feel so guilty about staying out because I knew that she would be taken care of (disgustingly selfish, I know). I would then head off to the bar, spending the next 5 hours drinking and hanging out with "friends." These are people that I would have nothing in common with other than partying. After getting intoxicated I would get in my car and proceed to drive the 20-30 minute drive home. Drunk. Wasted. In a car.  Most of the commute was on a highway. There are times that I think back to how many times I drove drunk and how many times I could've killed myself, or anyone else for that matter. I remember driving home from school one day and I realized the street that I lived off at the time is lined with telephone poles every 100 feet or so. I could have pummeled into any of those poles at any time. By God's amazing Grace, I was protected. As were all of the people that I passed on that narrow street.
         How shameful my life was before Christ saved me. I chose to spend time at the bar instead of being with my daughter. I used my parents so I could get drunk every night. I made so much money but blew it on cigarettes and alcohol. Although there were stretches of time when I was sober (sometimes by choice, sometimes not), this continued on until 2008. 2008! Eight years of my daughter's life that I spent either drunk, hungover, or thinking about my next drink.
        And now, less than 2 years later, not only have I reconciled my relationship with my daughter, but I have the amazing privilege of being a stepmom to two others!  How unworthy I am! How amazing is He! Now, I must tell you, I haven't had a drink since November of 2008 but selfishness is still a struggle. I don't want it to seem like my attitude is that of someone who claims that salvation perfected me. Nope. I am a sinner, just one that has been saved by Grace. The sin doesn't go away. But, oh how He's changed my heart and made me want to be a Mom and not a drunk. Let me never take it for granted...

6 comments:

  1. Amen! I am so glad you were set aside for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Erin. Thank you for sharing that.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, thank you for being so candid! It's beautiful that you don't shy away from being honest and sharing your journey. Brave lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your honesty is so humbling. I think that you are an excellent example for us to follow. So many times we forget the things that brought us to God...and it's so easy to brush it all under the carpet and go back to lives filled with sin. You have blessed us all with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed looking over your blog. I found your profile on another blog I follow and I added myself to follow you. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower if you want to. If I have posted this on your blog before please forgive me. Sometimes it ain't easy being an Old Geezer.

    God Bless You, Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin,

    In the past, I just skimmed this entry. Erin, I am so glad that you are so honest. Honesty is a rarity. Praise the Lord for His grace and mercy.

    ReplyDelete