Sunday, June 13, 2010

One Year

So, I have started a group on Facebook that’s going to read through the Old Testament. It should take us about a year to do it. A little bit at a time, a little patience and before you know it, a year will be up and I’ll finally be able to say that I’ve read the entire Bible. Something I consider very important for someone who claims to love it so much. And I do. I love it so much. I’m reading it and learning who my God is. And nothing beats that.


I must be honest that I also, somewhat unsuccessfully, started a FB group and read through the New Testament. We got through it although, the number of members dwindled from about 10 to 3. I’m sure people dropped off for many different reasons. It’s a big commitment, one that can be time consuming, depending on how much you read per day. I think we started out too big, 3 chapters a day. Doesn’t seem like that big of a number does it? 3? It’s not. But I’ll tell you what, it was a struggle to keep up some days! And as shameful as it is for me to admit it, there were days I just didn’t want to read God’s Word (see my very last post for more on this). Didn’t want to. The One who came to earth to die for me. I didn’t want to read His Word.

Listen to me for a moment if you will; it’s not about “if you read a few chapters a day, this will happen,” or “if you don’t read a few chapters a day, then this will happen,” it’s about having an attitude of adoration for the Lord, wanting to get to know Him through His Word. There’s no formula to follow that will make it easy. It’s a choice. Let me repeat it again for me. It’s a choice. And I want to commit to one year of my life as He gave me His entire life as a ransom for many. One year vs. entire life. One year < entire life.



Won’t you join me? He is deserving you know…



http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=134606026552348

4 comments:

  1. Baby, that brought tears to my eyes reading the last paragraph.

    Unless you think the last paragraph is that link or the single line that doesn't really look like a paragraph. I meant the one that starts with "Listen to me."

    Ok, tears are gone now, now I'm just sorta smirking.

    Please don't tell anyone I cried. I played my last man card when I referred to my Don't Quit wristband as a bracelet.

    Love you,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One year vs. entire life."

    that is SO true Erin...thank you for posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard of Professor Horner's reading system? Dave and I started in a couple years ago and it's amazing. It's A LOT, but sooooo rich. You read ten chapters a day of different parts of the Bible and it just weaves and overlaps beautifully showing Christ on every page. Thought you might enjoy this reading system.

    ReplyDelete